[GSBN] Bullet Resistance of Straw Bale Walls

Graeme North graeme at ecodesign.co.nz
Wed Aug 17 21:39:01 UTC 2016

I have a dreadful feeling of “only in America” about this thread  -  but hey - we have the opportunity of solving several natural building issues relating to people’s safety and building durability issues at once.

Bullets will simply wreck any plaster system, and we always grapple with rain screens so the answer will surely be to now specify:

Depleted uranium rain screens over breathable plaster on the exterior of strawbale buildings, along with bullet proof glass in windows.

The challenge to architects will be to make DU look pretty.

And remember folks - the Murricans have previously done impact penetration tests of various armaments into mud bricks ( I’ve got them somewhere) so maybe the other answer is mud brick and not strawbale.

(And a dreadful observation that the target is a black person,  given various news items recently)

2c worth

Graeme