[GSBN] Straw on edge with stick (stud) frame

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 5 22:27:27 UTC 2016

Hi Jim,

The system Jacob mentions (invented?) uses ³dense-packed² cellulose
insulation between framing, and tight against the already stacked bales. I
included this in a recent code change proposal for Appendix S ­ Strawbale
Construction in the International Residential Code (IRC). You can see the
added language underlined in the section below. It was approved in April and
will be in the 2018 IRC. (The IRC is the model residential code in the U.S.)

Jacob, and others who practice this method in the northeast U.S. wanted this
explicitly allowed in the U.S. SB code because it was being or they feared
it being questioned or disallowed by building officials.

AS104.2 Purpose, and where required. Strawbale walls shall be finished so as
to provide mechanical protection, fire resistance and protection from
weather and to restrict the passage of air through the bales, in accordance
with this appendix and this code. Vertical strawbale wall surfaces shall
receive a coat of plaster not less than 3/8 inch (10 mm) thick, or greater
where required elsewhere in this appendix, or shall fit tightly against a
solid wall panel or dense-packed cellulose insulation with a density of not
less than 3.5 pounds per cubic foot (56 kg/cubic meter) blown into an
adjacent framed wall. The tops of strawbale walls shall receive a coat of
plaster not less than 3/8 inch (10 mm) thick where straw would otherwise be
exposed.

Related to this I¹ve used 2x4 studs at 46² (117 cm) with stacked 3-string
bales on edge in between. The studs nestle into the curved-corner joint
between stacks of bales and stacks fit tight at bale ends.  A minimal roof
bearing assembly the width of the bales bears on the studs (which are on the
outside wall face only). I call it a ³light post and beam² system.

David Arkin (on this list) and others have used a similar system, but with
TJIs (Œtruss joists¹) installed vertically like studs, with bales stacked
between them. Unlike the system I¹ve used, it has a vertical framing member
both inside and outside (the Œflanges¹ of each truss joist) and with great
out-of-plane strength, allowing for tall walls or other high out-of-plane
demand designs. It has minimal thermal bridging through the OSB web of each
truss joist.

These systems don¹t do one thing I think you¹re trying to achieve. That is,
adding a layer of insulation to the stacked straw bales. I like that you use
wool between the studs in your system, as long as it¹s packed tightly
against the bales and framing. Trying to avoid uninterrupted vertical spaces
that could be a ³chimney² for fire.

Best.

Martin

Martin Hammer, Architect