[GSBN] Straw on edge with stick (stud) frame

Jim Carfrae jim.carfrae at plymouth.ac.uk
Thu Jul 7 09:47:32 UTC 2016

Thank you to everyone for their input!

Martin, we use wool in the form of manufactured batts from ‘Thermafleece’ cut to match the stud spacing, so fit is usually pretty good. I’m aware of the potential for ‘chimney effects’ and try to design them out.

Jacob: The main difference between what I’ve been building and your StrawCell is that I use horizontal ladders made from small section baton in the straw part of the wall. The ladders are fixed to the studs, and are the width of the straw with ‘rungs’ that coincide with bale lengths, so they sit in the wall without modifying the bales. We put them in every second course, and they provide useful fixing points and help form the sills and lintels for openings.

Jim