[GSBN] Straw on edge with stick (stud) frame

Jacob Racusin buildnatural at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 5 20:48:42 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

The "necessity" of the add'l insulation is for folks trying to get to a
loosely-accepted R40 minimum wall assembly for high-performance homes
(nothing formal here, just loose guidelines) in cold climates. In our
climate (IECC Zone 5), the <R30 bale wall doesn't really cut it, at least
not in all applications. This was a primary motivation for our hybrid
system. We are also playing with installing insulated fiberboard sheathing
on prefab wall panels to get to R40, but that's a different construction
modality than the stick frame approach in question here.

So, to that end - here are a few links about the StrawCell system. Nothing
definitive here, but some early works-in-progress concept stuff. We've
since delved more deeply into details, Jim et al I'm happy to get into
those details as is helpful.

Introduction video <http://newframeworks.com/strawcell/> to the concept
Article
<http://newframeworks.com/2015/02/strawcell-3rd-generation-strawbale-wall/>
first published in GreenBuildingAdvisor
Video of a demo <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3Qzqvv-S8> we gave at
BuildingEnergy13
Article <http://thelaststraw.org/a-straw-cell-wall-system/> Chris Magwood
wrote for The Last Straw on their work w the system

Jim, happy to serve as a reference, you can credit Jacob Deva Racusin, New
Frameworks Natural Design/Build

Would love to hear others' experiences with this system - we've figured out
a few ways to make it go faster and integrate into pre-insulated
assemblies, curious to hear how it goes for you! Best of luck, share your
details!

Cheers,
Jacob

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Jim Carfrae <jim.carfrae at plymouth.ac.uk>
wrote:

> [...]
> ------------------------------
>
> <http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>
>
> This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for
> the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the
> intended recipient then copying, distribution or other use of the
> information contained is strictly prohibited and you should not rely on it.
> If you have received this email in error please let the sender know
> immediately and delete it from your system(s). Internet emails are not
> necessarily secure. While we take every care, Plymouth University accepts
> no responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan emails
> and their attachments. Plymouth University does not accept responsibility
> for any changes made after it was sent. Nothing in this email or its
> attachments constitutes an order for goods or services unless accompanied
> by an official order form. _______________________________________________
> Gsbn mailing list
> Gsbn at sustainablesources.com
>

> ------------------------------
>
> <http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>
>
> This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for
> the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the
> intended recipient then copying, distribution or other use of the
> information contained is strictly prohibited and you should not rely on it.
> If you have received this email in error please let the sender know
> immediately and delete it from your system(s). Internet emails are not
> necessarily secure. While we take every care, Plymouth University accepts
> no responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan emails
> and their attachments. Plymouth University does not accept responsibility
> for any changes made after it was sent. Nothing in this email or its
> attachments constitutes an order for goods or services unless accompanied
> by an official order form._______________________________________________
> Gsbn mailing list
> Gsbn at sustainablesources.com
>

> ------------------------------
> <http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>
>
> This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for
> the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the
> intended recipient then copying, distribution or other use of the
> information contained is strictly prohibited and you should not rely on it.
> If you have received this email in error please let the sender know
> immediately and delete it from your system(s). Internet emails are not
> necessarily secure. While we take every care, Plymouth University accepts
> no responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan emails
> and their attachments. Plymouth University does not accept responsibility
> for any changes made after it was sent. Nothing in this email or its
> attachments constitutes an order for goods or services unless accompanied

Jacob Deva Racusin
Co-Owner
jacob at newframeworks.com
www.newframeworks.com