[GSBN] Rainscreen exterior with interior wood finishes

Kyle Holzhueter nihondaigaku.kairu at gmail.com
Wed May 8 10:51:20 UTC 2013

Hello Laura,

I think that John suggested some good solutions, and I'm not sure if this
is helpful, but in Korea, a popular method is to stack bales between a
double 2x4 frame, compress and secure them with 36mmx36mm lumber spanning
the interior and exterior frame. Photos and further details can be found at
the following link:
http://holzhueter.blogspot.jp/2011/10/straw-bale-building-in-korea.html

Also, when I was in Germany in 2011, Dittmar Hecken explained that
sometimes he builds bale walls on the floor by framing two 40mmx180mm
boards on 460mm centers and laying the bales between the boards, so that
when the wall is raised upright the bales are standing lengthwise.
Apparently the bales are compressed and secured on the floor before the
wall is raised. Someone from Germany on this list might be able to provide
more details.

I've never done this personally, but in both cases, after plastering, could
you attach furring strips to the framing through a green plaster? If this
wasn't possible, would it be too tedious to attach the furring strips
before plastering and plaster between them?

Kyle