[GSBN] GSBN] Modeling or measuring mass effect of interior plaster

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Mon May 6 21:22:09 UTC 2013

Hi Laura,

I have considered this question on a number of bale home designs. My
concern with the effect of this thermal mass was around the sizing of
the South facing windows.
I didn't want to oversize the amount of window area because of concerns
with overheating during the "shoulder seasons", when the solar
insolation would still be active, due to the roof overhangs and the
awnings still allowing about half of the sun inside before the Summer
shading period. So I needed to know how much heat these thermal
materials would absorb over the course of a day.

Not having a very good head for computer modeling, I've always crunched
numbers by hand, for heat loss calculations, and mass/window area/floor
area relationships.

My reference for calculations has been from Dan Chiras's book, The Solar
House. Around pages 100 to 106, Dan offers information around
relationships of types of thermal mass, with good ratios to use for
number crunching. I've been referring to these ratios for years, and
every home that we've designed and built since then, has worked quite
well for our region-specific designs. And I think you are correct to
consider the direct vs. indirect gain on these wall surface areas. I've
used Dan's ratios, and fudged them a bit, for lit and unlit areas.
Dan refers to ratios of glass-to-mass areas, and specifies using the
ratios of 1:5.5 for sunlit floor areas, and 1:40 for unlit floor areas.
He specifies 1:8.3 for unlit wall areas, and I've used 1:6 for sunlit
wall areas.  That ratio of 1:6 is from my own imagination, so don't
blame Dan for that. Blame my "intuitive approach" to engineering.  After
observing the various passive-solar homes that we've built over the
years, the numbers seem to work.

Frank

Frank Tettemer
Living Sol ~ Building and Design
www.livingsol.com
613 756 3884

Laura Bartels writes:

I'm writing to ask if anyone has had experience with modeling or
measuring the mass effect of interior plaster of bale walls versus other
interior finishes. This has come up on a straw bale project in design
phase I've involved in which has a net zero energy goal. The project is
large, about 6000 sf. The owners are interested in  barnwood interior
wall surfaces (over plaster) on all or some walls. With the net zero
goal, the question is what we might lose in having wood rather than
exposed plaster. There will be adobe floors which will already provide
direct and indirect gain mass.

Anyone tackled this topic or have a guess about how to look at this? Our
team has talked about estimating direct vs. indirect gain wall surfaces
through sun studies in ArchiCAD as a starting point.