[GSBN] Reinforced Monolithic Adobe (Cob) Seismic Testing almost done- tax deductible donations welcomed

Art Ludwig-Oasis Design oasis at oasisdesign.net
Sun Dec 30 00:42:13 UTC 2018

Kyle,

There are many other reinforcement regimes we would have loved to include. Alas, for this pass we had to eliminate many worthy contenders.

Here in So Cal, steel seems to very quickly get a film of rust in the fresh, wet cob…then not corrode much more in the 10 years or so we’ve been eyeballing it.

Straw/ bamboo doubtless would last longer, but would not get us anywhere near the 7500 lbs/ linear foot we’re shooting for. This is an insanely high level of resistance; it is likely that even with a double layer of 94,000 psi steel mesh anchored top and bottom in concrete that we’ll fall short of this (USGS says our area can have 2 g of lateral movement…speaking of insanely high).

I suspect that bamboo is the optimum material for a purist who needed modest resistance. I think even modest resistance would require attention to bamboo joints in tension that is far beyond what I know how to build.

The straw-only wall is intended to test base isolation.base isolation  could be a zero-concrete “purist” system that works even for high earthquake areas like ours, thanks to the load reduction of base isolation. (This is totally speculative, our two consulting engineers are skeptical.) More testing needed…but meanwhile this is what we were able to do in terms of moving the ball closer to the goal post.

Peace,

Art

Pure monolithic cob on top of gravel, with one steel band around the base. Not suited for areas where “high boots” on walls are needed , but no boot structures have worked in this climate.