[GSBN] Air tight window sealing - ideas and experiences.

Lars Keller larskeller at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 04:30:25 UTC 2018

Hi Derek,
Yes, it is based on the heated floor area. Tested at 50 pascal over- and
underpressure, and then an average hereof.
The test conditions are defined by EN 13829 Thermal performance of building
- Determination of air permeability of buildings - Fan pressurization
method (ISO 9972:1996, modified) - This standard is intended for the
measurement of the air permeability of buildings or parts of buildings in
the field. It specifies the use of mechanical pressurization or
depressurization of a building or part of a building. It describes the
measurement of the resulting air flow rates over a range of indoor-outdoor
static pressure differences. This standard is intended for the measurement
of the air leakage of building envelopes of single-zone buildings.

Yes, it is exactly the areas you mention that most often cause the leaks
here in Denmark as well.
What I mentioned was the traditional method to seal the joint between a
wooden frame window and a brick wall in Denmark before modern big scale
building systems arose from around maybe the 1950ies.
As far as I understand, the big building segments proved to have expansion
rates which the traditional mortar method could not deal with, and thus
“plastic” sealants where developed.
And what is happening today is what we know so well: due to speed, lack of
knowledge, advertising etc the “modern” sealing method has taken over.

What I am wondering is, if anyone know of modern sustainable products for
sealing the joint between the window and the wall, be that wood or brick or
straw...
Best, Lars
Small Planet
Om vores firma ~ link
Om vores masseovne ~ link
Om vores workshops ~ link
Kontakt-info
skype
jomorandin
lars.friland
jomorandin at gmail.com
larskeller at gmail.com

Home +45 8668 0505
Jo      +45 2390 0924 (mobile/handy)
Lars   +45 2024 0505 (mobile/handy)

Jo Morandin, Jamilla, Asger & Lars Keller
Friland 12 B
8410 Rønde
Danmark
---