[GSBN] Air tight window sealing - ideas and experiences.

Feile Butler feile at mudandwood.com
Thu Jun 28 05:49:07 UTC 2018

Hi Lars

I remember asking this question a good while back and, if I remember
rightly, it was Graeme North who suggested hemp rope. He recommended
purposely over-sizing the gap (i.e. leave closer to 10 or 12mm, rather
than only have 2 or 3mm) around the windows so that it would be possible
to stuff the rope in there (and of course, the rope would have a bigger
diameter than the designed gap).

I think it is a really elegant solution and don't see why it wouldn't
work. I tried specifying it for a job recently, but having fought hard
to get the mainstream contractor to cope with hempcrete and clay
plaster, I had to let some other stuff go .... the window sealant being
one of them.

We have a self-build house (cob and timber-frame/straw bale hybrid)
about to start on site with a very environmentally-conscious client, so
I am hopeful that we might be able to try it out on this project. I am
providing architectural services only, not carrying out the physical
work. However, as he is a true self-builder ... building the house in
his own time while juggling work, family, etc., and he does not intend
putting himself under any time pressure, it may be a few years before I
can report back!

Regards from sunny Ireland .... experiencing our hottest summer since 1976!

*Féile Butler*
B.Arch MRIAI Conservation Grade III
Executive Board Member of Earth Building UK and Ireland (EBUKI)

*Mud and Wood / Roots Architecture*
Grange Beg, Skreen, Co. Sligo

*T:*  +353 (0) 71 930 0488
*M:* +353 (0) 86 806 8382