[GSBN] Prefabricated and/or Modular Natural Building Systems

Jakub Zucha-Wihan kuba at jakubwihan.com
Wed Jun 20 08:38:02 UTC 2018

Hi Dirk and Lars, hello Everybody!

Great discussion. Thank you.

I think I am getting a point made by Lars here. Once a grass root visionary in strawbale building starts to see potential in the prefab system, the matter isn’t really a distance, but what matters is acceptance of many compromises within which the prefab comes in.

As well as Lars I got also involved in EcoCocon, because it is great, readily available product to me and for all the reasons mentioned by Lars previously. But for me especially, one of it’s potentials is possibility of earning my living out of selling it to wide market. It doesn’t really mean that I am going to stop being involved in what I have been involved in since the start of my straw bale career - community driven, cement free, loadbearing, local straw buildings...

Prefab made by local craftswoman out of local straw and timber is fantastic achievement, so I am getting your point Dirk. I like what you are doing, but it seems to me that you have always been open to accept compromises in order to push straw bale building further within the system. Why is it then you are not able to accept possibility of having a system that is very similar to yours, but a bit different? Perhaps out of 100 compromises that brings German prefab further away from truly natural and sustainable house, EcoCocon requires acceptance of perhaps 103? … for me, it is a matter of pushing your own boundaries. How far - from the truly natural and truly sustainable building are you willing to go? What is your motivation? Would you be more happy, once EcoCocon builds their factory in Germany? Or is there a fear of competition that prefab brings into this discussion?

Best wishes to all. I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Jakub Zucha-Wihan
(to most people on this list known as Kuba)