[GSBN] Straw bale building in tropical areas

André de Bouter forum at lamaisonenpaille.com
Fri Sep 8 10:59:02 UTC 2017

Salut Noé and other baleheads,

When deciding to built, or not, a small cabin with bales in Auroville,
Tamil Nadu, India in 2000, I looked arround. That region has a monsoon
season with very heavy downpours, but a much longer dry season.
I noticed that the rice-straw stacked in the field (without any
protection) held up very well. The rice straw looked more like leafs,
and the straw pile simply sheds the water away. Farmers confirmed me
that the straw stacked in the field is only atacked by rats.

The sb building that flooded (about 50cm/2 feet) at a university in
richy that René mentioned did indeed dry out. It was cement plastered on
both sides, if I remember correctly.

I have no idea if my little cabin still exists. Maybe a good excuse to
plan a new trip to India, eh?  ;-)
Needless to say, I totally agree with Martin, DESIGN, building and
maintenance are key, and some drying time.

I don't think that straw-clay would hold up better than bales. I've seen
(fermentation?) spots developping through earth plaser on straw-clay
that made me steer away from it.

Bale on,
André de Bouter
France