[GSBN] Mesh types and sources

Chris Magwood chris at endeavourcentre.org
Tue Aug 16 18:19:01 UTC 2016

Thanks all!

Unfortunately, there aren't any reliable Canadian sources for reed mats
that we've been able to find after years of looking. And to import them
in small quantities is prohibitively expensive. They would definitely be
something we'd use if we could get them.

Numerous people suggested jute in different forms. We've had bad
experiences with jute, finding that unless it's well-soaked in slip and
has solid backing behind it then it creates soft spots in the wall. By
the time we prep adequately to make the jute work, we can do the same
with straw/clay or hemp fiber/clay in less time and for less cost.
Perhaps if there are suggestions for quicker and more reliable use of
jute, we could try again.

We have tracked down a few synthetic products, including Permalath and
Ultra-Lath. Both are plastic and commercially available, but I'm not
sure how I feel about relying on petrochemicals.

Thanks,

Chris

On 2016-08-12 4:08 AM, Caroline Meyer White wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> We use the reed mats on all wooden surfaces that are plastered, and
> for bridging we solely use jute-net, a mesh with 0,5 cm masks apart.
> (Perhaps you call it burlap?). It is surprisingly strong.
> We also used it in some masonry stoves. One of them were rebuild
> because a new owner wanted a different design. It was only right up to
> where the plaster hits the metalframe of the "door" where you put in
> the firewood, the last 2 cm's that it was soft, otherwise it did it's
> job were weel.
>
> Cheers
> Caroline

> <mailto:ian at adobesouth.co.nz>>:
>

>     Good afternoon Chris
>
>     We are strong proponents of CINTOFLEX D  the expanded polyester
>     mesh we
>     ³discovered" at your 2006 ISBC  and for convenience and surity to our
>     contractor and owner-builders we wrap the walls (which arwe less
>     than 3000
>     high  in cintoflex - it is a small cost in the global view of building
>     ALSO
>     Cintofelx provides additional tangentail load resistance (wind and
>     earthquake) tot eh lime plaster
>
>     Regards
>
>     Ian E. Redfern
>

>     www.adobesouth.co.nz <http://www.adobesouth.co.nz>
>

>       Ian Redfern
>       Adobe South
>       A:    5 Lancewood Rise, Onerahi, Whangarei
>       P:     09 436 4040      M:
>       027 490 2324
>       E: ian at adobesouth.co.nz <mailto:ian at adobesouth.co.nz>
>

>     On 8/12/16, 11:06 AM, "Gsbn on behalf of Chris Magwood"
>     <gsbn-bounces at sustainablesources.com
>     <mailto:gsbn-bounces at sustainablesources.com> on behalf of
>     chris at endeavourcentre.org <mailto:chris at endeavourcentre.org>> wrote:
>
>     >
>     >Hi all,
>     >
>     >For the first time in a long time, I'm in the market for some
>     mesh for
>     >our jumbo straw bale project this summer. The sources we've used
>     in the
>     >past have all dried up and our inventory is empty.
>     >
>     >So I thought it might be a good time to check in and see what others
>     >have been using. We're not looking to cover the entire wall, but
>     we have
>     >some significant amounts of framing that need bridging, and
>     ideally we'd
>     >prefer not to use metal mesh. I'd love to know what any of you are
>     >currently using and where you're sourcing it and perhaps refresh our
>     >practice a bit!
>     >
>     >Thanks!
>     >
> [...]