[GSBN] GSBN's future structure

Feile Butler feile at mudandwood.com
Fri Feb 28 17:20:29 UTC 2014

I agree with Derek.

I have just been made a co-director of Earth Building UK and we are grappling with how to get discussions of substance going among our members. It's very nice to see the photo of the cob oven in the back garden, but I want to know how to convince my building control officer to let my client build a 1500 sq. ft. earthen home.

I have been citing GSBN as a really valuable tool in my working life to the other directors. They want me to show examples of threads on GSBN at our meeting next week. So I find it really interesting that GSBN is questioning the efficacy of the system.

As an aside (and I hope this doesn't hijack your thread - Derek, clarifying that this is the GSBN's Future Structure thread) - there seem to be quite a few earthy experts here. Is there a global earth building network? If not, would people see value in that?

I have been thinking about why there is so little engagement with forums on the Earth Building UK website and I wonder is it because the British can be quite shy and/or polite. Looking at some of the great GSBN debates - people are not afraid to get stuck in, but the majority seem to be from the US, Canada, down-under and certain parts of Europe. The British seem to keep their thoughts to themselves - or am I completely wrong on that and stereotyping? I apologise if I am.

Anyway - I am thinking that if we get something up and running with Earth Building UK, we may need to invite global stakeholders, 1 - to get a broader pool of expertise and 2 - because you lot are not shy to raise and debate topics. So would any of you be interested (if something doesn't already exist)?

If you want answer the Earth Building side of this email, maybe start a new thread called "Earth Building". If you want to continue Derek's point, stick to this title (GSBN's future structure).

Back to Derek - I like this format, but I have only been on it for about a year or two, so I have not experienced a drop-off. But to be honest, I don't think I could cope with any higher volume of discussion passing through my inbox.

Regards

Féile Butler
MRIAI B.Arch Dip. Arch Conservation Grade III

Assigned Certifier

Director of Earth Building UK

Mud and Wood

Grange Beg, Skreen, Co. Sligo, Ireland