[GSBN] Straw Bale Insulated Ceiling

Rikki Nitzkin rikkinitzkin at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 4 20:14:35 UTC 2014

Hi!

I have had really good experiences with sheep's wool- Here, it is dirt
cheap if you buy it unwashed (assuming that cost is an issue).
Unwashed wool is definitely for owner-builders since it is time
consuming, but easy.

Both washed or unwashed should be treated with borax.

The good thing about wool, is that humidity, and even water has a hard
time damaging it and it does not burn easily.

It is best to wash the wool without soap (or the minimum possible) so
that the straw retains the maximum amounts of Lanolin, which helps to
protect it. If you need to wash it, you can put it in a woven bag (the
kind onions or potatoes often come in). An leave the bag in a stream
for a day or two; let nature do the work!

Another good way to find cheap Washed wool is to buy old, wool
mattresses in second hand shops, if that is possible in your country.
Here in Spain they are still fairly easy to find.

I have never tried them, but I bet old wool blankets piled up would
work good too.

take care,

Rikki Jennifer Nitzkin

rikkinitzkin at gmail.com
www.rikkinitzkin.wordpress.com
0034 657 33 51 62
Aulás, Lleida

“Cualquier cosa que puede ser pensada, puede también transformarse en
realidad.” Albert Einstein