[GSBN] Straw Bale Insulated Ceiling

Feile Butler feile at mudandwood.com
Tue Feb 4 10:35:24 UTC 2014

Thanks to all of you for your replies

Danny and Jorge - you both mention the difficulty in packing the gaps between bales effectively. I suspected that might be a problem - so good to get your practical experience in the field.

You both also say that sealing with plaster is the best way to achieve fire rating. Bohdan mentioned a fire test from Germany - does anyone know who the author is so that I could look it up? Or does anyone have information on thicknesses of plaster required to achieve various fire ratings?

Bohdan - I understand why you are questioning why they don't just use a natural fibre batt. I think a big part of the reason is ethos. The clients have access to plenty of locallly produced straw bales - which are as close to an unprocessed but effective insulation product as they can get. I suppose another option would be to look at accessing and cleaning a load of sheep fleeces. But if that is not an option - then they need to buy a manufactured product. Only sheep's wool is produced in Ireland (which would be a good option), but it is manufactured in the exact opposite corner of the country. Anything else (wood fibre, hemp) would have to be imported from Europe.

But, as you say, if we end up using an excessive amount of timber to support the bales, then that is not a truly sustainable solution either. It's always a balancing act! As I said in the previous email - we're just exploring the option at the moment.

Jorge - I thought that was interesting that you used the LECA with the lime - I presume you did it to have achieve the maximum insulation values. But with an entire bale doing the job for you, do you think that was an excessive detail? Or was there another reason I missed?

I also have to say I LOVED the look of the house when it was entirely enclosed with bales - great to see bale walls AND roof.

And as an aside - I love the colour of the floor too, particularly the yellow. Was that an earth floor? Did you have very pale earth on the site and pigment it up with ochre? It's a really beautiful finish.

Cheers

Feile