[GSBN] Straw Bale Insulated Ceiling

Bohdan Dorniak bohdan at bdcoarchitects.com.au
Mon Feb 3 22:30:20 UTC 2014

Feile

This question has been raised many times – and it seems to get down to the actual weight of the rendered bales – and the type of ceiling structure to support the insulation. Is it worth the amount of timber??

Tests for fire on rendered straw bales was conducted in Germany some time ago – sorry can’t remember the author – but someone will have the details. The walls got a 90 minute fire rating!

Using plasterboard/clayboard seems OK provide you get total seal proof joints and the boards comply with the Code for fire rating. As for the loadbearing of the bales – I’d be sceptical.

Hope this helps – and I’m wondering whether a light weight insulation batt isn’t being considered?

Bohdan Dorniak architect

Treasurer AUSBALE