[GSBN] Anyone ever try a cob/straw-clay hybrid?

Jacob Deva Racusin buildnatural at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 30 02:16:16 UTC 2013

I'm not sure if phasing is an option, but if so and the cob were allowed
to dry for a season with the straw-clay applied the following year, the
cob could turn from a drying liability to a drying asset, given the
hydrophilic nature of the clay.  I'm really not sure if it would be
better than a strong breeze (air-dried), but you'd certainly get that
from the outside.  It would require phased drying, though, which may not
play out well in the construction schedule...

Kevin, great to hear you are using rice hulls, our company has been
looking into playing with them but haven't had the right job - that an
transporting a container of rice hulls from two days' drive away has
been unappealing.  But it sure seems like a material with lots of
potential if the resource is available.

Jacob

Jacob Deva Racusin
New Frameworks Natural Building, LLC