[GSBN] Anyone ever try a cob/straw-clay hybrid?

kevin rowell kevin at thenaturalbuilders.com
Mon Apr 29 19:32:39 UTC 2013

Similar but different approach I've considered for this very client:

Adobe inner and outer wall with a loose pack infill of Lime/Borax treated Rice hull or other suitable insulate fill. Pre treat and dry before filling cavity.
      -Will likely need some cross ties …
Same relative footprint, assuming 8" x 4" x 16" Adobes. ( my preferred size)
Stay in place formwork means less steps.
Allows for a (potentially) optimized placement of Insulating layer and thermal mass with a portion of the mass on inner and outer walls.
Drainage in the cavity space may need consideration:  Im picturing PET plastic mesh layer 2 inches thick, not unlike the stuff we used for the floating islands at West Coast Green 2009

Im with Tim, Creating mock ups of options seems fun. Time to locate some research funds for EBNET led testing?

Kevin Rowell

Build Director - Symbiosis Events - www.symbiosisevents.com
Skype ID: naturalbuilders

U.S. Cell  - 510.325.4277
For new project inquiries call our office 510.214.6289

www.TheNaturalBuilders.com
100 Behrens  St. El Cerrito, ca 94530
CL#B891512