[GSBN] Anyone ever try a cob/straw-clay hybrid?

rolf rolf at gaiaarkitekter.no
Mon Apr 29 20:41:57 UTC 2013

Hello again.
If you scroll down there are some pictures of this small project, "Terradoma".   (http://www.gaiaarkitekter.no/tjome/  )

Rolf

29. apr. 2013 kl. 21:04 skrev asbn <asbn at baubiologie.at<mailto:asbn at baubiologie.at>>:

Dear Rolf

Great! Do you have any pictures from this project?
I can`t find it on your homepage.

I have seen Ianto Evans' cob-buildings and read the excellent book Building with Cob by
Adam Weismann & Katy Bryce, who do this technique in (wet) Great Brittain.

all the best
Herbert Gruber
-----------------
asbn - austrian strawbale network
3720 Ravelsbach, Baierdorf 6
www.baubiologie.at<http://www.baubiologie.at/>

Am 29.04.2013 um 20:40 schrieb rolf:

Hello. Here in Norway we built a small Cob-house with double Cob walls.
We wanted to find ways to build high insulating walls with Cob - for cold climate.
>From inside;  8" Cob -  8" -dry insulation (Perlite)  - 6" Cob.  Using wooden connectors
between Cob walls.  (This is a small load-bearing structure).

It worked fine.

Rolf

Siv.ark. Rolf Jacobsen
Gaia Tjøme

Ødekjærvei 65
3145 Tjøme
T; 48056168  / 33391900
E; rolf at gaiaarkitekter.no<mailto:rolf at gaiaarkitekter.no>
www.gaiaarkitekter.no/tjome<http://www.gaiaarkitekter.no/tjome>

29. apr. 2013 kl. 19:49 skrev Tim Owen-Kennedy <timok33 at gmail.com<mailto:timok33 at gmail.com>>:

I would tend to agree with Paula and Chris, We've not done whole wall assemblies but sections of wall similarly and it has been problematic. We have done multi stories of bale with 6-12" of structural cob exterior, tied to the bales with a light wattle in the center of the cob.

If you are considering a 26" overall assembly I would be tempted to build one monolithic for ease of construction - cost savings and  balanced drying; concentrating on a mix that maximizes insulation while barely meeting your structural requirements (including factor of safety). Insulative agregates and various types of fiber that are less mold generating. I could imagine cobbing with three or more mixes that are specified to be denser from the exterior to the interior and still integrating the whole assembly as you went.

Seems to obvious for no one to have tried that before...Hope they or someone they know are on this list.

Either way I'm inspired to do some testing

Tim

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Paula Baker-Laporte <paula at econest.com<mailto:paula at econest.com>> wrote:
My concern would also be that the straw clay would only be able to dry from one side and that the cob would add to the moisture content for a long time...too long to dry the wall out safely.
Building the straw clay wall first and then adding something like adobe to the interior could work.

Paula

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Chris Magwood <chris at endeavourcentre.org<mailto:chris at endeavourcentre.org>> wrote:
My concern would be drying for the straw/clay. We have a hard time getting straw/clay to dry in our warm but humid summer. We count on a week per inch of wall thickness, and that's with both sides of the wall exposed. Sometimes we have to help things along with a fan on the interior because the drying is slower in the still air. With one side of the straw/clay up against cob (which may still be drying itself?) I would worry about the straw/clay not drying out at all before it starts to get mushy in there.

What about double wythe cob with a dry insulation in between?

Chris

On 13-04-29 11:38 AM, Bruce King wrote:

A client in North Carolina (mixed climate, no earthquakes) wants to build a large assembly structure on load-bearing cob, which doesn't insulate too well.  He doesn't want to use bales with thick earthen plaster, either.

So our idea was to build a wall that would look like this, from inside to out:

14" -- 18" of load-bearing cob
8" -- 12" of light straw-clay
lime plaster

Has anyone already done this, or heard of it?  Any reports of comments?

Thank you!

Bruce King

(415) 987-7271
Skype: brucekingokok
Twitter: @brucekinggreen
http://www.housetalkgreen.com<http://www.housetalkgreen.com/>
http://bruce-king.com/

Chris Magwood
Director, Endeavour Centre
www.endeavourcentre.org<http://www.endeavourcentre.org/>

Paula Baker-Laporte FAIA,BBP
Econest Architecture Inc.
www.EcoNest.com<http://www.econest.com/>
paula at econest.com<mailto:paula at econest.com>
Phone: 541.488.9508<tel:541.488.9508>

Tim Owen-Kennedy, Owner
Vital Systems, natural building & design
P O Box 751, Ukiah, CA 95482
www.vitalsystems.net<http://www.vitalsystems.net/>
888.859.6336