[GSBN] straw/cell assembly

Kyle Holzhueter nihondaigaku.kairu at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 13:05:44 UTC 2013

To answer Derek and EJ's questions:

120mm x 60mm posts spaced 455mm on center. 9mm structural plywood on the
exterior of the posts and a woven membrane on the interior.  120mm of
cellulose insulation. The bales are packed fairly tightly against the woven
membrane.  Probably more discontinuities and air gaps than the method
described by EJ. I don't think there was a rational for installing the
cellulose insulation first. Pressed for time and protection from the
elements.

With no supplemental heating other than passive solar design, the average
indoor and outdoor temperatures in January, 2012 were 8C and -2C,
respectively.

Placing the bales on either the inside or outside of a conventional timber
frame is cumbersome, and I don't have a good solution. When bales are
placed on the exterior of the timber frame:
1. Plaster the interior side of the bales and hang drywall or wood lath on
posts.
2. When the posts can be spaced 910mm on center, finish the interior face
of the bales with plaster and expose the posts and diagonal bracing.
3. Build a bamboo lattice on the posts, stuff the 12mm gap with straw
bundles, and finish with plaster.

Kyle