[GSBN] Climate Ride - Team Building With Straw

David Arkin, AIA david at arkintilt.com
Wed Dec 26 22:27:33 UTC 2012

Hello Worldwide Bale Friends:

Happy New Year Greetings from California!!

I'm writing to invite any and all of you to join our CASBA bicycling team in a fundraising ride in May 2013.  I had just completed last year's ride the week before the International Bale Conference, and I'm sure any of you I talked with there have already heard me say what an amazing experience it was.  The ride is fully supported (they provide all the meals and carry our gear from camp to camp).  Starting near Eureka we ride through the majestic Redwoods, then over to the Pacific Ocean and down scenic Highway One, take a detour through Sonoma Wine Country and finish up by crossing the Golden Gate Bridge into San Francisco.

Climate Ride is the group that runs the ride; like many fundraising rides, the riders collect donations from friends, family and colleagues.  As its name suggests, Climate Ride is focused on organizations that are targeting solutions to global climate change, ranging from bicycle advocacy to groups such as 350.org (see the full list here:  http://www.climateride.org/reasons-to-ride/beneficiaries ).  This year the California Straw Building Association (CASBA) is listed as a Beneficiary, and we're riding as a team:  Team Building With Straw.

http://bike.climateride.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.team&teamID=5206   (click on the Join This Team button and follow the steps)

Fundraising will go toward our outreach efforts, which include support for the Straw Bale Code Chapter efforts of Marty Hammer, David Eisenberg, Mark Ascheim, Kevin Donahue and others.  Other outreach projects focus on getting the word out about the multiple benefits of straw building, including its high insulation values and thermal performance, and the ability to sequester more carbon than is embodied:  http://earlywarn.blogspot.com/2010/09/straw-bale-model-house.html

Please share this invitation with any avid cyclists you know; the ride is one of the nicest out there, a great way to safely ride CA Highway One as well as help raise funds to further the cause of straw building.

Thanks and looking forward to riding together,

David Arkin

ps:  Donations in support of the Code Effort can also be made directly to the CASBA website:  http://www.strawbuilding.org/sbweb/  (scroll to bottom of the store page)

*  *  *  *  *
Arkin Tilt Architects
Ecological Planning & Design

2012 Fine Homebuilding Home of the Year:  Santa Cruz Straw Bale
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item/23225/video-2012-houses-awards-best-new-home
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item/23235/off-the-grid-straw-bale-getaway

David Arkin, AIA, Architect
LEED Accredited Professional
CA #C22459/NV #5030

1101 8th St. #180, Berkeley, CA  94710
510/528-9830 ext. 2#
www.arkintilt.com
"There is no way to peace. Peace is the way."
— A. J. Muste