[GSBN] earthen floors

Bob Theis bob at bobtheis.net
Fri Jan 6 19:30:13 UTC 2012

>>  I don't see the point of the work and complexity
>> involved in earthen floors - other than the pleasure involved in pointing at
>> the floor and saying it is dirt.

It's equivalent to the point of the work and complexity of a parquet floor; the wood patterns delight the eye, and an earthen floor delights the feet.

Much of what we are doing in this movement is recognizing where tactile pleasures lie in the built environment, and resurrecting some that we have lost. If you want to be technical, we like the stuff beneath our feet to be resilient. Concrete is not. Earth floors are that, but something more. What could feel more natural than earth beneath your feet? Simple as that.