[GSBN] earthen floors

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Fri Jan 6 19:38:01 UTC 2012

Actually, despite Bob's touchy-feel-y analysis, I do recognize the health
benefits of concrete floors.  Every time I'm feeling a bit ill, the first
thing I'll do is lay out on a concrete slab. It seems to have mystical
healing qualities, because no matter how bad I feel, I get right up almost
as soon as I've laid down!

John "Rebar Baron" Swearingen

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Bob Theis <bob at bobtheis.net> wrote:

>   I don't see the point of the work and complexity
> involved in earthen floors - other than the pleasure involved in pointing
> at
> the floor and saying it is dirt.
>
> It's equivalent to the point of the work and complexity of a parquet
> floor; the wood patterns delight the eye, and an earthen floor delights the
> feet.
>
> Much of what we are doing in this movement is recognizing where tactile
> pleasures lie in the built environment, and resurrecting some that we have
> lost. If you want to be technical, we like the stuff beneath our feet to be
> resilient. Concrete is not. Earth floors are that, but something more. What
> could feel more natural than earth beneath your feet? Simple as that.

John Swearingen
Skillful Means Design & Construction
2550 9th Street   Suite 209A
Berkeley, CA   94710