[GSBN] [SB-r-us] Re: health (ill) effects of earthen floors

Bill Steen bill at caneloproject.com
Fri Jan 6 17:29:42 UTC 2012

On Jan 5, 2012, at 6:58 PM, John Salmen wrote:

> I would basically agree - I don't see the point of the work and complexity
> involved in earthen floors - other than the pleasure involved in pointing at
> the floor and saying it is dirt. Historically for building it is very
> interesting and I would love to see a little more information and
> investigation on that. It gets really interesting and complex based on
> recipe. There was an interesting reference I found to a traditional Japanese
> technique using straw that created an anaerobic fermenting 'goo' that that
> both sterilized and 'plasticized' the mix. The sterilization was a peroxide
> being produced and the stabilization was similar to anaerobic films forming
> as a pond base. I never could find more information on it. Also interesting
> is cowshit used traditionally on floors in india and other ayurverdic uses.

John,
What you are referring to is basically the mixture that is used to cover the bamboo lath for the body of the wall in a timber frame structure.  We often use a similar preparation for the earthen or clay base coat on our straw bale walls.  It's amazing to see what happens in that transformation, true it is more plastic, mold resistant, does smell however.  I would like to know more about the source of where you accessed that info.
Just a note for you, this was a traditionally done in Japan but in the modern era, rarely practiced.  Mostly this is due to time constraints.  Perhaps Kyle Holzhueter who I am trying to include in the GSBN list can add something.  These are the very kinds of things he is researching while in Japan.

I should also add that this type of mixture is not used in floors.  The traditional floor is the "tataki" floor which is a gravely soil containing some clay, lime and "nigari" (magnesium chloride.)

Bill Steen
bill at caneloproject.com
www.caneloproject.com
www.caneloproject.com/blog