[GSBN] health (ill) effects of earthen floors

Bruce King bruce at ecobuildnetwork.org
Thu Jan 5 17:53:23 UTC 2012

Thanks, Bill.

I agree with you and David E., that very likely a decent oil, lime or
emulsion finish on a well-tamped earthen floor is likely to provide
the same benefit.

I also agree about cement.  It's a fantastic building material -- when
used skillfully -- and highly problematic when not.  And it comes at
very high cost:  financially to a very poor person, and ecologically
to everyone.  I saw in Haiti what I fear is a bit common, that people
would spend very precious cash on cement and rebar, but then use them
without knowledge or guidance, effectively throwing the money away and
getting the illusion of modernity, durability and seismic safety.
Bad concrete & masonry construction all over the world bakes people in
summer, freezes them in winter, and kills them outright in
earthquakes.  By spreading just a little of the right knowledge we can
make that construction less expensive, more thermally comfortable, and
safer.

Most of us on this list are painfully aware that clay-based
construction is a viable, if not superior, alternative to  the many
forms of cement-based building that are now widespread everywhere.  I
would guess that the built environment of the past 100 years could
have all of the good benefits, and maybe a few extra ones, and a lot
less bad effects, if about half as much cement overall had been used
-- skillfully.  As we promote earthen building as an alternative I
really want to keep the science tight both to be sure, and also to not
provide ammunition to the bad guys who rise up to resist our noble
crusade.

Bruce "Ain't no good at bein' noble" King

bruce at bruce-king.com
(415) 987-7271
Twitter: @brucekinggreen
blog: bruceking.posterous.com