[GSBN] health (ill) effects of earthen floors

Bill Steen bill at caneloproject.com
Thu Jan 5 18:21:01 UTC 2012

Well I have to say can't think of anything you said to disagree with.  Quite sensible for whatever kind of King you are.  Anyhow, I just wanted to point out the difference between the kind of dirt floors that I think the article was referring to and other types of earthen floors - sealed, stabilized or whatever.  I think the choice of floors will have much to do with the context, the dwelling, the inhabitants, what kind of kids are part of the family, etc.  I can think of all kinds of contexts where earthen floors wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.  And I sure wouldn't want to try and talk someone out of a floor they like such as Jorge and his choice of cement/lime.

Other alternatives often come to mind when imagining floor alternatives.  For the low cost houses that we did, we were able to find sufficient amounts of broken-up concrete slab pieces and assemble them in a manner resembling a flagstone floor.  Those floors were fabulous - durable and cheap.  Love them to this day.

Bill Steen
bill at caneloproject.com
www.caneloproject.com
www.caneloproject.com/blog