[GSBN] Hand Compressed bales

Tim Owen-Kennedy timok33 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 15:56:08 UTC 2011

Darcy, Please include me when sending out the details of the PAKSBAB moulds.

Has anyone attempted a light coating of clay slip or lime on these 1'x1'x2'
bales? or other size for that matter? This came up on the little straw
house for Haiti as a means to mitigate potential moisture issues.

Tim

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Derek Roff <derek at unm.edu> wrote:

> -        Are there certain car or lorry jacks that work better than
> others?
>
> The Hi-Lift jack (which Darcey mentioned), and similar designs, have a
> couple of useful design features for making hand-compressed bales.  One is
> that they have a greater range of travel than most auto jacks- sometimes a
> meter or more.  Another is that they offer controlled movement in both
> directions, rather than relying on gravity, and/or potentially releasing
> too quickly or incompletely, as some jacks would when adapted to a new use.
>  They often come with a square metal base, and a larger lifting surface
> than many jacks, which makes attachments and modifications easier.  They
> lack the finicky precision mechanisms of hydraulic and screw jacks, which
> makes mud and dust less of a problem, and servicing/cleaning easier.
>
> Derelict
>
> Derek Roff
>
> On Nov 3, 2011, at 3:36 PM, Darcey Donovan wrote:
> Hi Andy and everyone,****
> ** **
> The PAKSBAB team is making great little 1' x 1' x 2' bales in Pakistan
> using our hand balers (compression moulds and farm jacks).  I initially
> took an American made Hi-Lift jack to Pakistan which is still in use, and
> we have since imported additional ones from China.****
> ** **
> The straw is cut by hand using a sickle and is wrapped into sausage-like
> bundles and placed side-to-side in the mould.  Andy, I will email you some
> pictures of the moulds and bale fabrication process, farm jack specs, and
> our fabrication procedure off list.  I need to update my compression mould
> drawing, but I can do this in the next week and email it to you as well.
> If anyone else is interested in this information please send me an email
> off list and I will cc you on my correspondence with Andy.****
> ** **
> We often use wattle and daub for our interior partition walls. ****
> ** **
> I haven't been to Pakistan in almost 2 years but Surkhab Khan and the team
> are forging ahead.  We're about to start our 27th straw bale house - our
> 3rd one in collaboration with the organization SCIPPER (Spinal Cord Injury
> Project for Pakistan Earthquake Rehabilitation). We also recently formed an
> advisory board and are working hard to bring straw bale construction to
> scale in Pakistan.  Step by step...****
> ** **
> Darcey****
> ** **
> Darcey Donovan, P.E., C.T.O.****
> Pakistan Straw Bale and Appropriate Building (PAKSBAB)****
> P.O. Box 1083****
> Truckee, CA 96160 USA****
> (530) 902-5516 cell****
> (530) 582-4965 fax****
> darceydonovan Skype****
> darcey at paksbab.org****
> www.paksbab.org****
> ** **

Tim Owen-Kennedy, Owner
Vital Systems, natural building & design
P O Box 751, Ukiah, CA 95482
www.vitalsystems.net
888.859.6336