[GSBN] Hand Compressed bales

Darcey Donovan ecoengineering at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 21:37:53 UTC 2011

Hi Andy and everyone,

The PAKSBAB team is making great little 1' x 1' x 2' bales in Pakistan using
our hand balers (compression moulds and farm jacks).  I initially took an
American made Hi-Lift jack to Pakistan which is still in use, and we have
since imported additional ones from China.

The straw is cut by hand using a sickle and is wrapped into sausage-like
bundles and placed side-to-side in the mould.  Andy, I will email you some
pictures of the moulds and bale fabrication process, farm jack specs, and
our fabrication procedure off list.  I need to update my compression mould
drawing, but I can do this in the next week and email it to you as well.  If
anyone else is interested in this information please send me an email off
list and I will cc you on my correspondence with Andy.

We often use wattle and daub for our interior partition walls.

I haven't been to Pakistan in almost 2 years but Surkhab Khan and the team
are forging ahead.  We're about to start our 27th straw bale house - our 3rd
one in collaboration with the organization SCIPPER (Spinal Cord Injury
Project for Pakistan Earthquake Rehabilitation). We also recently formed an
advisory board and are working hard to bring straw bale construction to
scale in Pakistan.  Step by step...

Darcey

Darcey Donovan, P.E., C.T.O.

Pakistan Straw Bale and Appropriate Building (PAKSBAB)

P.O. Box 1083

Truckee, CA 96160 USA

(530) 902-5516 cell

(530) 582-4965 fax