[GSBN] earthen floor sealer in Haiti

Van Krieken vankrieken at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 23:14:49 UTC 2011

As I live in a place populated by visigoths around 400 AC, I guess they
learned with their previous roman neighbors to use linseed oil not only as a
laxative, but I still did not found the formula.
As for the dangers of boiling linseed oil or aerial lime, materials we still
use in this region, I guess its almost the same danger to fry chicken or
fish and ships.

I spent some hours studding this Linseed oil issue and asked some help to a
dear tutor, a retired chemistry Professor, who showed a chinese patience
explaining me the amazing molecular tango that transforms a liquid in to a
solid. Forgive any imprecision, I will try to be accurate sharing with you
this rapid research.

The main question in this discussion its about using linseed oil to protect
the surface of clay floors, or protect wood.
The subsequent question its how to use it.

But the previous question is if, or why, we need to heat it or boil it  by
artificial heat or by sun exposure. Or not boil/heat it at all. Or shall we
instead mixed it with other components.

Like other oils, Linseed oil is a liquid that can be transformed in a solid,
if there is a polymerization, a chemical process to form a polymer, or in
simple words, to form a solid with visco-elastic properties (rubber per
example, is a natural polymer).

Polymers based on linseed oil are developed by using various polymerization
techniques such as free radical polymerization, cationic polymerization and
thermal polymerization.
Each of these polymerizations are different and beeing so they will provoque
different molecular reactions and transformations.  This means that the
result will not be a equal quality of solid, in the molecular chain there
will be parts that could remain liquid, and therefore the result is not so
good and the solid is of poor quality.
What is the best? Recent tests points that cationic polymerization of
linseed oil produces the best product. But before coming to it, lets go back
to polymeration.

To achieve the polymerizations we need a catalyser. This catalyser will
initiate all the necessary chemical transformation of the linseed oil into a
solid. Heat, oxygen, light, silicates, cobalt, lead, zirconium...etc... they
are all catalysers, acting each of them in a different way. With a different
result of the final quality of the solid Linseed Oil.

Linseed oil can be thermal polymerizised by heating at a hight or not so
hight temperature. Or even more slowly, if you put it at the sun. I do not
found any clear scientifical evidence that fast thermal is best then slow
thermal polymerization. But experience is also evidence, and therefore Bill
statement is as best as any scientifical experiment.

>From India we get some other information. A 4 year thesis by Dr. Vinay
Sharma, at the Department of Chemistry, Punjabi University.

http://www.indianscience.in/thesis/2/synthesis-of-linseed-oil-based-polymers-and-their-nano-composites

(...)
In conclusion, it is observed that the polymers from linseed oil via free
radical polymerization are not suitable due to their inferior properties.
 Their dynamic mechanical and thermal properties are not up to the mark.
 The polymers via cationic polymerization have the best visco-elastic
properties, which make them suitable for the shape memory and damping
applications.  The nano-composites from linseed oil have shown remarkable
increase in the modulus and transition temperature with respect to other
polymers.  They show higher thermal stability and two stage degradation.
 The incorporation of the 2.5% nano-filler gives the best properties.  The
linseed oil polymers and nano-composites are very good alternative for the
various applications in lieu of petroleum based polymers. //

So, according to this research, we can achieve a better product if we
polymerize Linseed Oil with 2,5% of Montmorillonite clay. In this case, if I
understood it well, we do not need to heat it, just mixed with this natural
clay catalyser / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montmorillonite

Concerning the thinner and thicker layers, what we need its a solid layer
that covers all pores. The amount of layers may have to be related with the
quality of this solid product (aka Linseed Oil).
I normally use to protect wood a Linseed Oil product called Biofa made in
Germany ( www.biofa.de , with cationic polymerization  and with 0 to 1g/l
VOC, and I was allways told to apply a very fine layer.

But again, I suppose this is also related with the Linseed Oil quality.

The question I could not find yet an answer is about the floor breathability
if we apply too many or even not so many layers of Linseed Oil.

Finally, what oils can we use in Haiti and other parts of the Globe were
Linseed Oil is not available? For answer this, I feel we just need to ask
people who are doind research on this issues.

Kansas Polymer Research Center (
www.savremenimaterijali.info/sajt/doc/file/1-5%20petrovic.pdf ), per
example, recently published a paper about Polymers from Biological Oils,
pointing that vegetable oils, fish oils (not the fish and ships...) and some
algae oils are excellent raw materials for new polymers. The only question
its to know how to polymerize them in the best and more ecological way.

I hope this helps the discussion.

Jorge Van Krieken
Portugal