[GSBN] earthen floor sealer in Haiti

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Sat Mar 19 00:32:07 UTC 2011

Although I've also asked Beeel this question about thinning, and received
the thick>>>thin regime,  I would go with Tracy's scientific observations,
since they also appeal to common sense and/or logic.    So I wonder why
Beeel's thick coat is frequently recommended, and I have a couple of
thoughts on that..

If penetration is the goal, then Tracy's thin>>>thick program would do the
trick better.  I wonder, though, if we are we confusing about the proper
prophylactics, that is, confusing 'penetration' with 'protection'.  The
appealing quality of linseed (and other oils), is that they create a
leathery *coating* at the top of the earthen surface, so a technique that
forms a coating in successive layers would be the most successful.  Warm oil
will assure easy and sufficient penetration and bonding, then thiner
applications build up the protective sheath.

Just my two pesos in a wrapper about covering the earth with shoe
leather....any more experiences to go by?

John "Oiled" Swearingen

John Swearingen
Skillful Means Design & Construction
2550 9th Street   Suite 209A