[GSBN] earthen floor sealer in Haiti

Bill Steen bill at caneloproject.com
Wed Mar 9 15:28:30 UTC 2011

Well I certainly can't talk about environments as wet as Graeme describes and perhaps the use of linseed oil will yield the results along the same lines.
What I will add is that the type of effects being described can often happen when the oil doesn't penetrate well and it is left on the surface of the floor.
The idea is to get it to penetrate fully and have no residual oil left on top.  Typically that happens as a result of applying too much oil or the surface of the floor being troweled to the extent that it is densely compacted and the oil can't penetrate.
When it comes to hardness, I can see little need for anything that provides a harder surface than the linseed oil without jumping to a harder floor material.
Going on to Tim's comments re: Robert Laporte on cheap cooking oil I don't see any basis for them.
The only downside would be that the sealed floor would be less hard.

Bill
Bill Steen
bill at caneloproject.com
www.caneloproject.com