[GSBN] earthen floor sealer in Haiti

Tim Owen-Kennedy timok33 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 18:41:55 UTC 2011

Briefly,

We have used Coconut oil at a clients request once because it wouldn't get
rancid. Though we have used Cheap cooking oil without complaints (based on a
workshop I took from Robert Laporte back in '95 so I don't know if that has
been thoroughly tested). If you can't find a hardening oil and with cost a
main issue I would be tempted to use filtered old cooking oil and heat it up
(if you can filter it enough).

TIm

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Andy Horn
<andy at ecodesignarchitects.co.za>wrote:

> I have an old reciet from the 1600's here in the Cape ....also known as the
> Cape of Storms where the governor of the dutch east Indians had to ban the
> building of thatch roof buildings because of a series of devatating fires
> that were experienced at the Cape colony. So flat roofs were mandated. The
> governor sent out for a top mason to give a recipe for waterproofing of
> flatish mono pitched Giorgian type buildings. Apparently despite much
> scepticism given the ferocity of the storms we get, it worked...and indeed
> there are still the odd example to be found around.
>
> The receipt says they made use of cocoa nut oil.....
>
> 4 parts stamped lime shells taken out of the gravel of the oven (lime
> kiln),
> 2 parts ordnary masons lime, 2 parts finely powdered bricks ....well mixed
> dry, then all this was mixed with coaoa nut oil....until mixed like dough.
> Then laid immediately 1 1/2 inches thick and rubbed in with a trowel and
> steadily beaten with wooden mallets. Gentle beating with not too heavy
> mallets. Whilst busy the 2nd layer was prepared with 10 parts finely sifted
> lime, 3 parts finely sifted gravel of baked bricks and 1 part Bengal gor or
> sediment of sugar (draf zuker = molasses). Treated the same way as the
> first
> mix and applied the same way. Finally a liquid composec of lime, oil and
> Gor
> is made with a strong hand and a smooth trowel well rubbed on the last
> coat.
>

> We also have a tradition of sealign earth floors here in the rural areas
> and
> on some of the old farms with either ox blood ....burnished into the clay
> coating or else cow dung or both. Normally the cowdung is smeared on while
> fresh as a thin coating ...and it hardens creating the finish (though a bit
> rough for my taste). However this is something done periodically to freshen
> up a space.
>
> Andy

Tim Owen-Kennedy, Owner
Vital Systems, natural building & design
P O Box 751, Ukiah, CA 95482
www.vitalsystems.net
888.859.6336