[GSBN] earthen floor sealer in Haiti

Andy Horn andy at ecodesignarchitects.co.za
Tue Mar 8 18:19:06 UTC 2011

I have an old reciet from the 1600's here in the Cape ....also known as the
Cape of Storms where the governor of the dutch east Indians had to ban the
building of thatch roof buildings because of a series of devatating fires
that were experienced at the Cape colony. So flat roofs were mandated. The
governor sent out for a top mason to give a recipe for waterproofing of
flatish mono pitched Giorgian type buildings. Apparently despite much
scepticism given the ferocity of the storms we get, it worked...and indeed
there are still the odd example to be found around.

The receipt says they made use of cocoa nut oil.....

4 parts stamped lime shells taken out of the gravel of the oven (lime kiln),
2 parts ordnary masons lime, 2 parts finely powdered bricks ....well mixed
dry, then all this was mixed with coaoa nut oil....until mixed like dough.
Then laid immediately 1 1/2 inches thick and rubbed in with a trowel and
steadily beaten with wooden mallets. Gentle beating with not too heavy
mallets. Whilst busy the 2nd layer was prepared with 10 parts finely sifted
lime, 3 parts finely sifted gravel of baked bricks and 1 part Bengal gor or
sediment of sugar (draf zuker = molasses). Treated the same way as the first
mix and applied the same way. Finally a liquid composec of lime, oil and Gor
is made with a strong hand and a smooth trowel well rubbed on the last coat.

We also have a tradition of sealign earth floors here in the rural areas and
on some of the old farms with either ox blood ....burnished into the clay
coating or else cow dung or both. Normally the cowdung is smeared on while
fresh as a thin coating ...and it hardens creating the finish (though a bit
rough for my taste). However this is something done periodically to freshen
up a space.

Andy