[GSBN] building in Haiti

kim thompson shipharbour at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 2 03:20:02 UTC 2011

Hello all,

We have been doing various lime over earth experiments here in the
Maritimes over the last six years or so.
One system that has had good results in this "very hard on any kind
of building" climate of Nova Scotia is
to add a small i.e. 5% amount of lime to the final earth layer then
leave this coat rough (or as with a scratch coat)
to give a mechanical bond for the lime and sand plaster (1-2 coats).
My theory is that adding some lime to the clay makes it
more "compatible" for the subsequent lime layers, but this is purely
conjecture. Would love to do more serious testing on this.

Indeed we have found that just adding the lime putty to the clay does
amazing things to making it more water resistant. Hose tests
and 6 winters confirm this. Getting this recipe right is likely
relative to type of clay etc. so maybe challenging to standardize, or
it may
be that it is more forgiving than I think.

One comment on the opportunity to showcase this project and the
importance (or not) of it being perfect. If the interpretive  and
educational
aspects of the build are very clear from the outset that it is a
prototype and that the climate and resources present new
opportunities that are being explored then the project takes on much
bigger significance. Perhaps the best case scenario is to do one wall
with a rainscreen system, one with LoE, one with lime mixed with
earth and one lime only (aka Amazon Nails). Hose tests can predict a
fair bit, but one season of weather on a wall that is well roofed and
footed can be repaired with which ever seems to work best.

Another thin wall, fast and "secure" system is to recycle chain link,
or similar (which maybe found in the debris) and use that as a
"wattle" attached to bamboo (or other) posts. The daub is the usual
fibre rich mud with a  lime/earth and then a lime/sand or lime wash
finish.

A few thoughts for the mix.

> On 2/03/2011, at 9:11 AM, Bruce King wrote:
>

>> Hi, folks, we've got a bit of a debate going as to what
>> constitutes a security barrier, which is fine by me, but I for one
>> would really like to hear more about lime plasters over earth.
>>
>> Answers so far, as well as my experience, suggest that LoE (lime
>> over earth) systems work very well if, and only if, you have a
>> familiar and consistent mix of lime, clay, straw, etc.  All of the
>> ingredients are finicky (you can't just substitute one lime for
>> another, or one clay for another), all depend on careful
>> workmanship (application, curing, scratching, etc.), none are for
>> newbies.
>>
>> In Haiti, though we will have one or two pros running things
>> (maybe some of y'all), we will be working with a Haitian crew of
>> unknown skill, using clay, sand and lime whose properties and
>> behavior are unknown.
>>
>> Are we crazy to even contemplate a LoE system?  Remember, this
>> will be a very public house seen and scrutinized by a lot of
>> people and organizations.  There's no room for screwups or
>> excuses.  If it cracks, or delaminates, or in some other way
>> fails, the whole project looks bad.
>>
>> We'd rather look good.  Any further advice would be much appreciated.
>>
>> PS to Graeme North:  thanks for the tips, I know that cintoflex is
>> good stuff, and may even be available in Haiti.  And prayers for
>> New Zealand, you guys got hit hard.  Prayers for Haiti, too;  a
>> year after their earthquake, the city and country still look like
>> it happened a week ago, there's that little recovery.  Poverty,
>> dysfunctional government, and a lack of infrastructure is a fairly
>> deadly combination that even the most noble and intelligent people
>> (as are Haitians) can barely overcome.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bruce King, PE
>> Director of EBNet
>> Ecological Building Network
>> the art and science of building well
>> bruce at ecobuildnetwork.org
>> PO Box 6397
>> San Rafael, CA 94903 USA
>> (415) 987-7271
>> follow us on Twitter: @EBNetwork
>>
>> On Mar 1, 2011, at 11:43 AM, Andy Horn wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Martin
>>> I agree it is more about securing the windows and doors.
>>>
>>> Plaster aside, for anyone who has not yet tried – but getting
>>> through a wall of straw is no mean feat.
>>>
>>> I once got called in to look at saving storm wrecked load bearing
>>> SB after the guys building had left for a long weekend without
>>> covering up ……so I helped with cutting out chunks of un-plastered
>>> wall, so as to retrofit in sets of load bearing timber posts.
>>> Armed with a chainsaw you would be surprised at just how
>>> difficult it was.
>>>

>>> Andy Horn

Kim Thompson
Straw Bale Projects
2699 Northwood Terrace
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3K 3S9
tel. 902-453-2429
e mail: shipharbour at ns.sympatico.ca
www.naturalbuilding.ca

"Tradition and modernity are merely two sides of the same coin - and
must be dealt with simultaneously. Building cannot be a rigid dogma,
but a living, organic, ecological project. It is about continuity,
based on memory, common sense and experience and is the foundation of
invention."   Hasan Uddin Khan