[GSBN] building in Haiti

Graeme North graeme at ecodesign.co.nz
Tue Mar 1 21:07:54 UTC 2011

Hi Bruce - you set a challenge

The only security I can think of to prevent de-lamination is doing you best to ensure that the earth will stay pretty dry, and left with a well keyed and very fibrous surface that will tie the lime to it.

One Japanese technique I have heard of, but not tried, to ensure that earthen plaster layers  do not delaminate in earthquakes looks very time consuming.  It involves tying short lengths of rope or string (baling twine?)  into the structure  at frequent intervals all over the wall, and then progressively pulling these through each layer of plaster as they are laid up. Can't see why it would not work using LoE.  Might be worth a trial as a mechanical way of holding plaster layers in place.

PS Some engineers and I are venturing into the NZ earthquake zone in a couple of weeks to see how earthen and strawbale building have performed - very few reposts have come out yet, as the major efforts are still on search and rescue, and survival for those in the worst hit areas.

Graeme
Graeme North Architects
49 Matthew Road
RD1