[GSBN] building in Haiti - and now Christchurch, New Zealand

Tom Hahn tomhahn at econet.org
Wed Mar 2 01:28:40 UTC 2011

Hi all...

First, congratulations to Bruce and everyone involved in the EBNet
Haiti project!!  Well deserved, and in amongst stiff competition from
what I have seen.

Second, a former staff member and dear friend of mine was very near
one of the major events in the Christchurch earthquake.  She was at
work at her architecture firm's office about 50 meters from where a
huge boulder fell out of a cliff in Sumner, NZ, and crushed the
Sumner RSA veterans' club.  And her house (which was partially
wrecked) is in sight of the beach where the famous Shag Rock
collapsed.  She and her partner are safe, thankfully, and have moved
in with friends with power and water outside metro-Christchurch.

I mention this because she is local (Sumner is a seaside suburb of
Christchurch), knowledgeable with design and building, especially
with alternative methods, and likely looking for something to do...
she says her firm's primarily custom-residential work will be at a
standstill for the foreseeable future.  Also, she already has
disaster response construction experience, having worked, during
graduate school, in New Orleans on building a demonstration
affordable eco-home for Katrina victims.  Graeme (and anyone else),
if you are aiming to help out in Christchurch and can use some local,
able hands and brain cells, I can highly recommend Shana.  Here is
her email...

Shana Payne <shanapayne at gmail.com>

Best wishes to the Haiti teams, and to anyone venturing into the
Christchurch area...

Tom Hahn
Ecosa Institute
Prescott, AZ