[GSBN] building in Haiti - and now Christchurch, New Zealand

Graeme North graeme at ecodesign.co.nz
Mon Feb 28 22:37:52 UTC 2011

Hi Bruce - well done - amazing how an approach using local stuff works.

One mesh idea that seems to work well that I have just started using is Cintoflex D - a polypropylene mesh - very light and cheap but very strong and easy to use - easier than any bamboo lath or metal lath I have used so far.  Very tough walls can be made using bamboo uprights, with either a spit bamboo lath, or by tying on a mesh, and then installing light earth daub or plasters.

Good keying between earth and lime seems to be essential,  esp if there is much risk of high levels of  moisture around - I have seen de-lamination between earth and lime if driving rain forces moisture in as far as the earth under-layers that can both soften and expand.

On a different note, we may need aspects of your design down here too now that we have our own earthquake disaster in Christchurch to deal with.  Its  a real horror story - it was a very shallow quake right under the city and local ground accelerations were up to a massive 1.88g under a city that was already recovering from the effects of a larger quake a little further away last September.

 Any references to a strawbale emergency shelter design that really works may also be of great benefit too if anyone has one -
most people have some temporary shelter, but winter is coming on, and it is harsh down there, and around 10,000 house are uninhabitable.   A lot of people are camping out in their yards with no power or water supplies.  Emergency services are coping really well it seems, even though 40% of city center buildings are too unsafe to enter.

Cheers

Graeme
Graeme North Architects
49 Matthew Road