[GSBN] building in Haiti

Bruce King bruce at ecobuildnetwork.org
Mon Feb 28 22:09:01 UTC 2011

Howdy, Baleheads --

Ecological Building Network (EBNet) has won an international
competition for the best new housing ideas for Haiti, and we’ve just
been asked to build our model in a very prominent location.  I am both
proud and puzzled to say that our apparently unique winning idea is:
use Haitian materials and Haitian people to build a Haitian house.
Everyone else in the exposition will be importing prefabricated
contraptions, at least so far as I know.

After a lot of meetings and discussion among a lot of knowledgeable
folks -- including a bunch of you -- we arrived at an optimal
"natural" design we think best suited to the culture, economy and
climate of Haiti.  The EBNet model home will use the most abundant and
inexpensive local resources—concrete rubble, bamboo, and the huge
local labor pool—to make seismically safe houses at or below the cost
of conventional (and unsafe) masonry houses.

With that all said, two questions:

1) We expect to use a thick, fiber-rich earth plaster over bamboo (or
possibly metal) mesh for a lot of the walls, but need to give it a
very durable finish (see wall section in the onliine link).  "Durable"
here means not only resistant to abrasion and driving rain, but also
forced entry;  it has to be and feel secure against intruders.  I seem
to recall some discussion on this list about lime and lime-cement
plasters over earth, and Bill Steen reporting that he could never get
that to really work -- too much delamination despite efforts to bond
things.

Anybody have thoughts or suggestions?

2) We have to raise $75,000 in a pretty short time, so any leads or
suggestions are most welcome.  We seek both philanthropic support and
commercial sponsorship at this prominent exposition.

Thanks, and cheers all around,

Bruce "Mr. Natural" King
Director of EBNet
Ecological Building Network