[GSBN] new members

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Thu Jan 6 17:58:22 UTC 2011

All,

I will second both, as I was in complete agreement yesterday when four
people from this list were in the same room in fertile discussion among
ourselves, and Mark and Henri, about bamboo and alternative masonry unit
testing.  We looked at each other and immediately agreed both would be great
additions to the GSBN.  In fact we were surprised they weren¹t on already.
(How often has that happened?)

Both Mark and Henri have excellent experience and minds regarding the
engineering aspects of strawbale and other natural building materials and
systems.  Mark has done intensive work with me on the proposed strawbale
code regarding seismic performance, and as Bruce mentioned, has been at the
helm of many structural tests of strawbale wall systems and components.
Mark is also a contributing author of Design of Straw Bale Buildings, and
has written peer-reviewed papers for engineering journals and conferences on
the structural capacities of strawbale construction.

Henri has done the structural design for a number of strawbale buildings in
seismically active California and is the project engineer for the first
straw bale building in Haiti (I owe the GSBN a post on this work.  I go back
to Haiti tonight, Bruce follows).  Henri cut his strawbale teeth working
with David Mar (by the way, what about David Mar on the GSBN?).  Both an
architect and engineer he brings both sensibilities to his work.

Occasionally there is talk about there being too many representatives on the
GSBN from one place or region.  At this point there might be more members
from the San Francisco bay area or northern California than anywhere else.
This area just seems to be a cauldron of good strawbale minds, and I feel
privileged to be surrounded by so many capable people who are making great
contributions to this many-dimensioned movement.

Cheers.

Martin Hammer