[GSBN] new members

strawnet at aol.com strawnet at aol.com
Thu Jan 6 17:27:01 UTC 2011

 Second!

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce King <bruce at ecobuildnetwork.org>
To: GSBN Int'l SB network <gsbn at greenbuilder.com>
Sent: Thu, Jan 6, 2011 3:56 am
Subject: [GSBN] new members

Baleheads --

A small network of folks has been at work adapting natural building technologies to Haiti, and it suddenly made us aware that two of us are not but should be on this list.  I want to vigorously put forth a nomination for:

Mark Aschheim, professor of structural engineering at Santa Clara University.  Many of Marks students are at work testing bamboo joinery for us, and getting an education in earthen construction, straw bale, and the weird but irresistible humor of folks like us.  Mark did a lot of the heavy lifting 10 years ago when we (EBNet) conducted seismic tests of straw bale walls.

Henri Mannik is both an architect and structural engineer, was working with David Mar back during the EBNet test program, and is now out on his own doing lots of natural buildings.  He engineered the first straw bale building in Haiti, now nearing completion.

Do I hear seconds?

Thanks,

Bruce King, PE
Director of EBNet