[GSBN] new members

Tim Owen-Kennedy timok33 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 18:04:53 UTC 2011

Good on you Bruce for staying up, and following through on these
nominations, but 3am? you must have had more than just an extra drink for
me.

We had a great time yesterday applying our collective experience and
expertise to the challenges in Haiti and hopefully our work will be
applicable around the world. And as often comes up when we are in these
scenarios we reflected on the value and joy it is to be part of the GSBN. A
great example of an online version.

I'm an obvious second (fourth?) for these two, since it was my task to
nominate in case it slipped the King's mind. I wanted to add that I have
experienced both as extremely insightful and frugal both as engineers and as
participants in a collective process. Both of which make them great
engineers for ecological buildings and wonderful additions to this community
in my book.

Tim "working on being more insightful and frugal" O-K

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 2:56 AM, Bruce King <bruce at ecobuildnetwork.org>wrote:

> Baleheads --
>
> A small network of folks has been at work adapting natural building
> technologies to Haiti, and it suddenly made us aware that two of us are not
> but should be on this list.  I want to vigorously put forth a nomination
> for:

> University.  Many of Marks students are at work testing bamboo joinery for
> us, and getting an education in earthen construction, straw bale, and the
> weird but irresistible humor of folks like us.  Mark did a lot of the heavy
> lifting 10 years ago when we (EBNet) conducted seismic tests of straw bale
> walls.
>
> *Henri Mannik* is both an architect and structural engineer, was working
> with David Mar back during the EBNet test program, and is now out on his own
> doing lots of natural buildings.  He engineered the first straw bale
> building in Haiti, now nearing completion.
>
> Do I hear seconds?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bruce King, PE
> Director of EBNet
> Ecological Building Network
> *the art and science of building well*
> bruce at ecobuildnetwork.org
> PO Box 6397
> San Rafael, CA 94903 USA
> (415) 987-7271
> follow us on Twitter: @EBNetwork

Tim Owen-Kennedy, Owner
Vital Systems, natural building & design
P O Box 751, Ukiah, CA 95482
www.vitalsystems.net
888.859.6336