[GSBN] SB buildings/contacts in the Philippines?

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Thu Oct 28 16:32:20 UTC 2010

I'm confident that SB fire resistance isn't in the National Philippino
Building Code, because standardized fire testing hasn't yet been done
in that country.  I'm guessing that you have already suggested links to
DCAT, Ecological Building Network, and other sites with SB testing and
code summaries for the US and other countries.  Australian testing
might be of interest to the Philippino authorities.

Derelict

--On Thursday, October 28, 2010 12:21 PM -0400 Mark Piepkorn
<duckchow at potkettleblack.com> wrote:

> Got a message from a Chicago-based architect I know, Amanda Roelle -
> http://www.growherechicago.com/ - who is currently in Italy and
> looking for SB buildings and contacts in the Philippines.
>
> I'm actually not sure what email address she's using (she contacted
> me on Facebook) so if you could either post anything you've got here,
> or send it to me, I'll get it to her. I'm not sure what she needs
> beyond the standard references regarding fire resistance.
>
> She wrote:
> "I am in Italy and have met up with some architects-builders who
> built straw bale houses here after an earthquake a few years ago.
> Anyway we are collaborating on a competition for disaster relief
> housing in the Philippines and are interested in using straw bale. I
> glanced over at one of their computers and noticed them perusing
> "potkettleblack" for precedents and said "hey I know that guy!" So,
> we have been researching but not much is coming up - do you know of
> any straw bale used in the Philippines of Asia-Oceania? The buildings
> have to meet National Philippino Building Code and there is nothing
> on fire resistance for straw bale. Do you happen to have any
> resources/ideas to look?"

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100