[GSBN] Snippage (was Re: List Overloads (was Re: SB Overhangs))

Bill Christensen billc at greenbuilder.com
Mon Sep 20 18:50:09 UTC 2010

At 11:44 AM -0400 9/20/10, RT wrote:
>  but I did wonder if there is any interest in trying
>to sweet-talk good 'ol' Wild Bill-bob Christensen into implementing a
>filter that would automatically truncate messages to this List once any
>individual message reaches a threshold (say 30 kb as a point of departure
>for the purposes of discussion ?) so as to avoid the problem that we saw
>recently on this list.

Not as easy as it sounds.  The list software doesn't have that
fine-grained a way of examining emails - for instance, if it had a
small attachment (like the annoying backgrounds that a lot of people
include in everything they send out, or the company logo some people
put as part of their signature) that would be included in the
assessment of how big the email was.  We might end up getting the
background/logo and not the text.

I think your complaining about it remind GSBNers once again that they
should use good list manners and snip away the repetitive portions of
their outgoing emails.  All of us are on the list and should have
already received the original message (or can look it up in the
archives if they're newbies to the list) and therefore it's only
necessary to include enough quoted material to establish context for
your reply/rebuke/snide comments/etc.

ALSO please remember that we have many GSBN folks all over the world,
many of whom are likely on slow connections.  Though the list now
accepts attachments, please don't punish your recipients who don't
have broadband.

This message brought to you by the Overlord of List Overloads.