[GSBN] SB Overhangs

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Mon Sep 20 16:28:24 UTC 2010

RT, a good suggestion in principle, but in practice, how do we demonstrate
that
*"....... the drying regime exceeds the wetting regime over any given period
of ## days."*
*
*
*And how do you account for regime change brought on by goo-ball worming?*
*
*
*How about "every straw bale building should have a good hat and good boots"
 *That's clear, isn't it?
*
*
*John
*
On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 10:21 AM, RT <ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> DANG! Just when I thought I could shut this infernal machine off and get
> outside ...
>
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 13:00:03 -0400, <gsbn-request at greenbuilder.com> wrote:
>
>  From: Sarah Johnston <sarahjohnston at ihug.co.nz>
>>

>  We agree that eaves are very important and also feel there should be a
>> minimum eave depth included for a SB code, the difficult part is
>> making it appropriate for all climates
>>

> [snip] (of an incredibly large amount of redundant, previously posted
> material)
>
> I disagree (mostly just to be an @$$#%^!% and get a dig in on that
> gazillion lines of unsnipped material).
>
> I would venture that if anything is written into the Code it should simply
> state performance requirements rather than specify particulars like eave
> depths which, as pointed out would be very site-specific.
>
> I can think of situations where even ridiculously wide overhangs (ie
> exceeding 1.8 metres) still wouldn't provide sufficient protection.
>
> And there are many situations where wide eaves would almost certainly
> guaranty that the roof would be ripped off by winds or invite destruction of
> the roof by wildfires.
>
> I would venture that if something is written into the Code it should be
> something like:
>
> "The building shall be provided with means to keep the wall materials dry
> or if allowed to get wet, the drying regime exceeds the wetting regime over
> any given period of ## days".
>

> --
> === * ===
> Rob Tom
> Kanata, Ontario, Canada
> < A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a >
> manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply"

John Swearingen
Skillful Means Design & Construction
2550 9th Street   Suite 209A
Berkeley, CA   94710