[GSBN] SB fire fighting test update

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Wed May 13 01:30:14 UTC 2009

Everyone,

Since the last post on this subject of SB fire-fighting testing, I've had
exchanges with Don Fisher (fire fighter and author of SB fire-fighting
article) and Dr. Charles Kime of Arizona State University Fire Programs.
I've spared everyone the back and forth, but will summarize the current
status.

Both Don and Dr. Kime are very interested in doing this test.  The testing
facility at ASU, as well as Don Fisher's time (and possibly Dr. Kime's) are
being offered without cost.  All other costs would need to be covered by the
SB community (unless funding from a fire organization can be found).
Possible dates for testing are early-July or mid-August, and/or when fully
organized and funded.

The following need to be fully determined:

* Testing protocol and the wall specimen assemblies (type(s) and number of)
* Specimen construction team and test observers and documenters.
* Specimen costs and all associated testing costs.
* Funding commitments.

I've begun discussions with David Eisenberg and Bruce King about the above,
and GSBN members will likely be asked for their input (or participation).
CASBA has agreed to be a partial funding source, and support from other
organizations may be solicited after a budget is determined.

Don Fisher is particularly excited about a device he just invented that
connects a CO2 extinguisher to a "piercing nozzle".  I'll give more detail
about testing specifics in a future e-mail.

Ultimately a peer reviewed journal article would be published, and depending
on test results, an effort would be made by the fire community to educate
fire fighters about the best techniques to fight SB fires.

That's all for now.

Martin  (Where there's smoke there isn't always fire.  Sometimes there's
only smoldering, like in a plastered straw bale wall, where insufficient
oxygen doesn't allow fire and does allow any smoldering to be extinguished
in a selective manner with minimum damage to the wall)  Hammer