[GSBN] Fire rating for unplastered straw

Martin Hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Fri Jun 7 16:50:30 UTC 2019

Hi Rikki,

Thanks David for sharing the ASTM E84 test for straw bales. To put the
results in comparative compliance terms, in the US building codes, all
insulation materials (with minor exceptions) must have a flame spread index
and a smoke developed index that does not exceed 25 and 450 respectively.
The straw bale results were 10 and 350.

For the purposes of the ³art project² the Observations section on page 5 of
the report might be useful:
During the test the specimen was observed to behave in the following manner:
Steady ignition began at 1:17 (min:sec). The specimen began to char at 1:00.
The test continued for the 10:00 duration. Upon completion of the test, the
methane test burners were turned off and an afterflame continued to burn for
0:60+.

After the test, the specimen was observed to be damaged in the following
manner: The bales were charred on the surface and smoldering inside from
0-ft. - 24-ft.

Martin

Martin Hammer, Architect
1348 Hopkins St