[GSBN] Failures due to moisture migration in bale walls

Derek Stearns Roff derek at unm.edu
Sat Jun 27 15:59:56 UTC 2015

I’ve not seen failures from moisture migration, but I am responding with a slightly different suggestion.  I’ve read a number of articles on wall and moisture issues, including optimum construction scenarios, by local Ontario hero and GSBN member John Straube, and his colleagues.  Articles on the Building Science Corporation website and Green Building Advisor generally do not advocate a plastic vapor barrier except in cold climates much more severe than the Toronto area.  Are those articles of any use to you, Chris?  This question has been well-researched outside the strawbale world, and the documentation is good, that plastic vapor barriers do more harm than good, until you get up into the truly frozen north.  Even there, they aren’t obligatory, but just one option.

Derek

Derek Roff
derek at unm.edu<mailto:derek at unm.edu>