[GSBN] Failures due to moisture migration in bale walls

Chris Magwood chris at endeavourcentre.org
Sat Jun 27 15:35:30 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm working on a "defense" of the vapour permeable nature of straw bale
walls for a building code for an alternative solutions application here
in Ontario.

The building department is particularly concerned about the lack of a
vapour barrier in the system (again!). I'm pulling out all the usual
test documents and building science theories to help make our case.

But I'm interested in knowing if any of you out there have actually
encountered a bale wall that has failed due to moisture migration
through the wall, especially during the winter. I've certainly seen some
damage done by consistent exposure to rain, or leaky roofs, or other
bulk-water intrusions, but I've never seen a moisture migration failure.
If that has been the general experience of this list, with its wide
variety of climates and building styles, then that would seem to me to
make a good evidence-based defense for this.

And if you have seen such a failure, I'd be interested in knowing about
the suspected (or known) causes, the conditions that led to this
failure, and whether or not the situation was able to be remedied.

I don't need everybody on the list to respond... perhaps only those
who've seen examples of this type of failure. If the list is silent on
this, I'll take that to mean that this really hasn't shown itself to be
a major issue, and will say so in my AS application.

Thanks all!

Chris

--
Chris Magwood