[GSBN] research into air quality in straw bale house

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Wed Dec 3 16:50:20 UTC 2014

Jakub,

Thanks for looking into this. I agree with Derek this is a very important
subject, and one that has been virtually ignored to date (as far as I know).

I¹ve been concerned for some time about whether the ³straw odor² one
sometimes detects in a straw bale building signifies any unhealthy
substances in the air. In my experience there is a wide range, from no
straw-associated odor at all, to a hint of the odor of ³bright² dry straw,
to a musty odor likely signifying higher than desirable moisture content in
the straw, to the smell of decomposing straw (and presumably associated
mould) from a serious moisture problem.

There are many factors here, including all the materials used in the wall
system (and all other building components), how tight the building is, the
quality of the air barrier(s), the building¹s heating and/or cooling system,
climate, etc.  Not easy to parse it all out.

We all need to know the facts of the indoor air quality of straw bale
buildings, both apart from and how they compare with the indoor air quality
of buildings using other materials and systems.

Thank you Jakub, and good luck with your research.

Best.

Martin