[GSBN] Steel mesh in clay plaster + earthquake safe fire shelters

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Tue Aug 27 22:01:14 UTC 2013

I agree with Rub Tum, that 'staggered clums with alternating nodes or
collars is definitely the way to go, with chopped straw for T&S'.
However, we haven't done that. Our first try, we got the directions wrong,
drank too much, and ended up with several staggering clum chums with nudes
in collars eating chopped suet, flashing T&A, and blabbering about Bale
Bondage.  "Clum!" ~Chaucer

So we went with Centaflex, which is sized pretty well, and the plastic
coating tends promote bonding.  Our mesh is used to hold the bales
together, like a basket, and cheese cutting isn't an issue, as it might be
with cob.

It seems that metal in earth plaster can and does work, but under what
conditions would it fail?  The bond is important, and thin metal wires
cannot be considered sufficient unless they are very dense (notice that the
Our Troops recommended split bamboo over clums for better bonding). The
Japanese practice of coating metal with an alkaline plaster certainly
points the direction.

John

John Swearingen
Skillful Means Design & Construction